01 July 2013

Versatile fruit bread

A couple of weeks ago I made a date loaf. It got rave reviews on the recipe site, but I wasn't impressed by it. On a scale of 'sponge to mud' cake, I like my date loaf up near the mud cake end. This version was too close to the sponge cake end.

Last week I made banana bread. Every one really enjoyed the recipe. The texture of the bread was far more like the texture I'm looking for in a date loaf. Instead of trying another recipe, I thought perhaps I could just substitute dates for bananas. It turned out okay. A little too sweet with the dates, and perhaps a little short on full date flavour.

The original recipe and the date option.

Ingredients - Banana Bread
3 or 4 ripe bananas, mashed. According to one site this is about a cup of banana.
80g (1/3 cup) of melted butter
3/4 cup sugar. Original recipe was for 1 cup. Even 3/4s was on the sweet side.

1 egg, beaten
1 tsp vanilla (I only ever use beans or bean paste)
1 tsp baking soda
pinch of salt
1.5 cups of plain flour

 Ingredients - Date Loaf
As above except:
1.5 cups of cut dates soaked in 1 cup of boiling water. Next time I will put the soaked dates through the blender, which may help to 'spread' the flavour a little.
1/2 cup of sugar. This still way sweeter than necessary. Next time I will use only 1/4 cup.

Method - either
Preheat oven to 175°C (350°F).
Stir butter into fruit.
Stir in sugar, egg and vanilla.
Sprinkle salt and baking soda over the mix and stir in.
Stir in flour.

All stirring with a wooden spoon; no need for 'lectric. Pour into greased loaf pan. Bake for 1 hour. In my small oven, after about 40 minutes I need to cover with foil to prevent the top from burning.
Eat lots of it. Good warm straight out of the oven. Good the next day with butter on it.



No comments: