05 July 2013

Creativity Journal

Some months ago we were visiting with a friend, when she mentioned she was struggling with her lack of creativity. She is a creative person (as I believe we all are), but she wasn't being creative in her day-to-day life. She was struggling to find time, motivation and inspiration. Later in the same week, the Teen and I were doing a bit of window shopping and happened into a book store. (Some of sort of magnetic field around book stores that we don't quite understand). We found a book. (Actually, we found lots of books, but that's another story.) This book was on sale and the perfect "thanks for being a great hostess" gift.



The book is called "365: A Daily Creativity Journal: Make Something Every Day and Change Your Life!" by Noah Scalin. After some introduction to the concept, Noah gives a 'starting point' for being creative each day. Day One says "The first step is the hardest, so start small today and make something that fits in the palm of your hand using only the materials in your immediate environment." There is space on each day to record what you created.

After a couple of days, it became clear to the Teen and I that we both needed this book. But, alas, the book store had no more copies :-( We can get it online, but we're still trying to get it locally. In the meantime, I have bought an e-book. No recording facility in the journal itself. The reality is, I'm highly unlikely to use it anyway.

I am going to give the 365 days a go. They may not be 365 consecutive days, but we'll see how we go. (My track record at maintaining any project is pretty dismal. I can't even take vitamins every day of the week.)

One of the suggestions that Noah makes is to choose a theme and/or medium. I'm a sewer/quilter, so fabric is an obvious medium. But then I wondered, is it too obvious? Should I stretch myself in some other way? I'm still undecided, so I may use two ideas, because I'm keen to explore some creativity with words. Some days I may use both fabric and words, some days I may do just one. My creativity, my rules.

No comments: