27 July 2013

Creativity Journal - Day 14 (Small)

Make something microscopic. How small can you work? Can you make something that requires a magnifying glass or microscope to see?

The hardest thing about this challenge was getting a decent photo. The words came to me overnight. I Googled, but I can't find any specific reference, just a quarter of a million links.

No life is small.

My first attempt was in Paint, created at 800% magnification.
Original size

'Small' size; most of my blog photos are set to medium size
Letters are 5 pixels high, all verticals only 1 pixel wide

My next attempt was fabric based. Thought I might use up some of my tea-staining throw outs. Not very much of them, as it turns out. My first effort was done with the naked eye, well, the bespectacled eye. I got a little lost trying to get the 's' right in 'is small'.
For my second effort I found a magnification app for my phone. Once I worked out how to balance it and sew neatly, my letters improved ... well, slightly.
First effort, fine needle showing beneath the text

Second effort

Both efforts, my fingers

First effort above, second effort inside the small gold safety pin

Second effort, same small gold safety pin

No comments: