25 May 2013

Porridge (Oats)

My nana used to make stick-to-your-ribs-all-day porridge. After dinner, she'd put the oats in water a saucepan to soak over night. In the morning, she'd cook it up and you'd get a lovely blob of sticky, gooey porridge.

I've never been able to replicate it. Even "traditional" oats are obviously not as hardy as oats 'back in the day'. Leaving them to soak overnight all but destroys them, turning them into something resembling school paste. A slow cooker recipe I found was (unsurprisingly really) even worse. Microwave porridge, firstly, makes a huge mess and secondly, just wasn't as satisfying; but I think I've nailed it.

The trick is a very large container with straight sides to cook the oats in. For a single serve of porridge (1/3 cup of oats, 2/3 cup of water) I use a 2 litre mixing bowl. I cook, according to the instructions, for 2 minutes, stir, cook for a further minute. For variation, when I stir I add a handful of cranberries. The result - perfect, nana stodge. Love it on a cold winter morning.

Doesn't photograph well, but it sure hits the spot on a cold morning.
The big white lump near my spoon is cream from the top of the milk.
Gotta love unhomogenised milk!

No comments: