06 June 2012

Monday 4 June 2012

Today I cooked lemon pudding. For someone who has decided they don't like cooking, I seem to do it a lot for relaxation. Thing is, I love food. The pudding was a Green's packet mix. I like Green's (I also like the Green's family, who I met many years ago). However, like most packet lemon things, it is a little sweeter than I like.
I decided to fix that and fix it I did! The box calls for one egg and 1 tablespoon of water to be mixed into the sponge mix. I used a tablespoon of lemon juice instead. I think the sponge is actually vanilla or fairly plain, so the lemon juice pepped it up a bit. Secondly, I zested in some orange peel.

In the sauce - sprinkle on top, boiling water deal - I added another splash of lemon juice. Not much, only about 1/3 of a cup ;-) and some more orange peel. I used orange peel because we didn't have any fresh lemons.

The sponge didn't rise well. Maybe the acid of the juice was a factor. Maybe the overly small egg (I debated using two) was a factor. I'm not sure. But it was sure nice and lemony.

No comments: